UCR Reporting Alerts
Data submitted to the UCR program are widely distributed and used by other organization for the purpose of research, funding decisions and publications. Periodic review of these data and correspondence with submitting agencies assist crime reporting staff in identify common errors that may or may not be captured through monthly transaction processing.
When a reporting error is identified, the Crime Reporting Unit issues a Reporting Alert to all participating agencies. These alerts are meant to describe the error, the result of the error on data quality and provide a corrective plan for the agencies to implement. The Reporting Alerts are also used to announce changes and modifications to the NYS Crime Reporting Program.
The following is a list of published reporting alerts that have been sent to participating UCR agencies. If you have questions regarding a specific alert please contact NYS Crime Reporting Program staff at infoNYSUCR@dcjs.ny.gov or by calling DCJS at 518-485-7111.
- Testing Requirements for Agencies Transitioning to NIBRS Compliant NYSIBR (October 2019)
- Requirements for Agencies Transitioning to Incident Based Reporting (January 2019)
- UCR Program Transitioning to NIBRS-Only Data Collection (July 2016)
- Expanded Rape Including in 2015 Crime in New York State 2015 Preliminary Data Report (May 2016)
- Crime Reporting Requirement for DCJS Grantees (March 2015)
- Reporting Justifiable Homicide and Negligent Manslaughter (February 2015)
- Implementation of Expanded Rape Reporting In the NYS Crime Reporting Program (May 2014)
- Expanded Rape Definition (August 2012)
- Classification of Strangulation Charges (September 2011)
- 2009 Agency Personnel (October 2009)
- Reporting Hate Crime Incidents (October2009)
- Juvenile Arrest Reporting - Issued August 27, 2009
- Changes to the Supplemental Homicide Report (SHR) - Issued March 2009
- Reporting Domestic Violence-Related Crime – Issued May 8, 2008