IBR Reference Materials
Last Updated: January 2018
Please review the current summary of changes
Listed below are several NYSIBR reference materials intended for both law enforcement agencies interested in and participating in the IBR program as well as vendors who design and support Records Management System (RMS) software. These documents expand upon and replace the NYSIBR Desktop Reference Manual and include information on becoming an IBR Agency, utilizing the NYS Integrated Justice Portal (IJPortal) for IBR file submission, reviewing the IBR transaction report and correcting IBR data errors. They also include technical documentation for vendors on generating an IBR compliant file.
If you have questions regarding IBR, please contact Crime Reporting Unit staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling DCJS at 518-485-7111.
- Becoming a New York State Incident-Based Reporting Agency – This document provides law enforcement agencies in New York State with instructions on switching from the Uniform Crime Reporting Program to the Incident-Based Crime Reporting Program.
- Incident–Based Reporting File Submission Instructions – This document provides law enforcement agencies participating in the IBR program on how to submit their monthly IBR files to DCJS through the New York State Integrated Justice Portal (IJPortal).
- Reading the NYSIBR Submission Transaction Report – This document provides information for law enforcement agencies participating in the IBR program on how to read the Submission Transaction Report which is transmitted to agencies after each successful monthly IBR file submission.
- NIBRS Compliant IBR Error Messages & Explanations – This document provides a detailed listing of all errors that could occur within a monthly IBR file upon submission to the DCJS IBR Database. This listing includes each error number, the corresponding error message and a detailed explanation of the error. This document is intended primarily as a reference for law enforcement agencies that receive errors on their NYSIBR Submission Transaction Report and need further assistance in correcting them.
- Crime Reporting Data Submission Timeline – This calendar provides an overview of the data quality activities DCJS conducts organized by when they occur. Each month is an outline of what agencies can expect to receive from DCJS if follow-up is needed, and tools that agencies can access to help correct any issues that are identified.
- NIBRS Compliant Data Elements and File Structure Specifications – This document provides a detailed record layout for each of the seventy-three capture data elements collected for a criminal incident as well as the nine transmission data elements that are used to describe and structure the data transmission between law enforcement agencies and DCJS. It is intended for both law enforcement agencies and vendors of Records Management System (RMS) software.
- NIBRS Compliant Data Transmission Specifications – This document provides technical instructions for generating and transmitting monthly IBR files to DCJS and is intended primarily for vendors who design and support Records Management System (RMS) software used to store and report incident data submitted through IBR. It is also helpful for law enforcement agencies in understanding the contents and structure of an IBR submission file.
- NIBRS Compliant IBR Edits – This document provides a complete listing of the system edits implemented by DCJS that monthly IBR submission files must pass before they are posted to the DCJS IBR Database. Each edit number, corresponding error message, as well as a technical explanation is provided. This document is intended primarily for vendors who design and support the Records Management System (RMS) software used to store and report data on criminal incidents.
- NYSIBR Legacy Reference Documents – This reference contains the pre-NIBRS Compliant NYS IBR Reference Documents: NYSIBR Error Messages and Explanations, NYSIBR Data Capture Elements, NYSIBR Data Transmission Specifications, and NYSIBR Edits. These documents are provided here as an historical reference and will not be updated.
- NYSIBR Improvement Project – Notice of Change – This document outlines the New York State Crime Reporting Program’s efforts to align the collection of NYSIBR data variables with those data variables collected by the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS).
- NYSIBR Improvement Project – Addition of NIBRS Data Elements – This document provides the data capture elements and specifications for the five NIBRS data elements that will be required as part of the new NYSIBR submission file being developed for compliance with National Incident-Based Reporting Standards.
Current Summary of Changes –
*Updated Crime Reporting Data Submission Timeline
*Replaced NYSIBR Data Capture Elements and Specifications with NIBRS Compliant Data Elements and File Structure Specifications
*Replaced NYSIBR Data Transmission Specifications with NIBRS Compliant Data Transmission Specifications
*Replaced NYSIBR Edits with NIBRS Compliant IBR Edits
*Added NYSIBR Legacy Reference Documents
*Updated Becoming a New York State Incident-Based Reporting Agency