Criminal Justice Statistics
Statutorily required annual reports and other reports are available on the Publications page. If you are interested in information about the State prison and community supervision populations, research reports are available here http://www.doccs.ny.gov/Research/Research.html.
The date in parenthesis indicates the date of the report, or the last time the feature was updated.
Crime and Victimization
- Index Crimes
Violent (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) and Property (burglary, larceny, & motor vehicle theft) offenses reported to law enforcement. (See also Crime in NYS Report on Publications Page)
- Index Crimes By Region (6/2019) (Excel)
Ten years of Index crime data shown in New York State, New York City, and Non-New York City groupings.
- Index Crimes By County and Agency (6/2019)
Five years of Index crime data shown for each county in New York State.
Historical Index crime data back to 1990 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Crime Rates and Counts by County (6/2019)
Crime rates and how they are calculated are explained, and tables of Index and violent crime counts and rates by county. Rates take into account differences in population, allowing comparisons between counties.
Historical Index, Property, and Firearm crime rate data back to 1990 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Hate Crime Incidents (9/2017) (Excel)
Hate crime incidents by reporting agency covering the five-year period from 2011 through 2016. (See Also: Hate Crimes Annual Report on Publications Page)
Historical Hate Crime data back to 2010 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Domestic Violence Victim Data Reported Through UCR (8/2019)
Domestic Violence Victim Data submitted by county and reporting jurisdiction. (See Also:Domestic Homicide Report on Publications Page)
- Adult Arrests by County and Region (3/2019)
Arrest counts for major offense groupings over the last ten years. Includes statewide, region and individual county summaries.
Historical arrest data back to 1990 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Parolee and Probationer Arrests: Percent of Total Arrests By County (3/2018)
10-year trend data on total arrests by county and the percent that parolees and probationers comprise.
- Juvenile Arrests/Criminal Activity Reported Through the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program (6/2019)
Criminal activity of juveniles (less than 18 years of age) reported for major UCR offenses by police agency.
- Dispositions of Adult Arrests by County and Region (4/2019)
Dispositions of adult arrests for felony, violent felony, drug felony, and misdemeanor offenses over the last five years. Includes statewide, region or individual county summaries. (See Also Felony Processing Report on Publications Page)
Criminal Justice Population Demographics
- Adult Arrest Demographics by County and Region (9/2019)
Arrest counts by major offense groupings by sex, race/ethnicity, and age at crime. Includes statewide, region, and individual county summaries.
- Dispositions of Adult Arrests by Race/Ethnicity, County, and Region (9/2019)
Dispositions of adult arrests by race/ethnicity for felony, violent felony, drug felony, and misdemeanor offenses. Includes statewide, region, and individual county summaries.
- Comparison of Population to Arrests and Prison Sentences by Race/Ethnicity, County, and Region (9/2019)
Arrests, felony arrests, and sentences to prison relative to population by race/ethnicity. Includes statewide, region, and individual county data.
Youth Justice Data
New York State youth justice data are compiled by a variety of state and local agencies that share data with DCJS. DCJS compiles and analyzes this data to produce a statewide picture of youth justice trends.
- Quarterly Youth Part Court Activity (8/2019)
This report details Youth Part activity in New York State occurring after implementation of the first phase of the state’s Raise the Age law (effective Oct. 1, 2018). Arrests are reported to DCJS by the local law enforcement agency making the arrest while Youth Part activity is reported to DCJS by the state Office of Court Administration. Data are preliminary and subject to change.
Additional information about Raise the Age law
Arrests and Dispositions of Arrests Involving 16- and 17-Year Olds
- Arrests by County and Region, January-June (8/2019)
Arrest counts for violent felony, non-violent felony, misdemeanor, and VTL offenses, comparing the six-month period from January through June, 2017-2019.
- Arrests by County and Region (6/2019)
Arrest counts for violent felony, non-violent felony, misdemeanor, and VTL offenses for the most recent five years. Statewide, regional and county summaries of data are available.
- Dispositions of Arrests by County and Region (5/2018)
Dispositions of arrests involving 16 and 17 year olds for felony and misdemeanor offenses for the most recent five years. Statewide, regional and county summaries of data are available.
Juvenile Justice System Data
- County/Regional Juvenile Justice Profiles (6/2019)
Juvenile justice arrest and case processing activities for each of New York’s 62 counties. Also includes data summaries for New York State, New York City and the Rest of the State (57 counties outside of New York City).
- Five Year Juvenile Justice Trend Tables by Processing Point and County (6/2019)
Key juvenile indicators by county for the most recent five years.
- Juvenile Justice Indicators Trend Tables 2010-2018 (6/2019)
Key juvenile indicators for New York City, the Rest of State (57 counties outside of New York City), and New York State.
- Jail Population Report (Annual) (2/2019)
Census data for local jails for the past 10 years. Annual counts show the average of all daily counts reported for that year.
Historical jail population data can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Law Enforcement Personnel (5/2019) (Excel)
Law enforcement employees on each agency's payroll as of October 31. It excludes employees assigned to jail duties.
Historical law enforcement employee data back to 2007 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Number of Individuals with Criminal Convictions Sealed (Under a provision of the state’s Raise the Age law, effective Oct. 7, 2017) (9/2019)
New York State Criminal Procedure Law (Section 160.59) allows individuals who have remained crime-free for 10 years to request that certain New York State convictions be sealed. These statistics, which will be updated monthly, detail the number of individuals who successfully petitioned a court to have a case(s) sealed, by month and county in which the seal was granted. The law allows eligible individuals to petition the court to seal up to two misdemeanor convictions; one misdemeanor and one felony conviction; or one felony conviction.
More information »
- Probationer Felony Re-Arrest Rates Following Sentence to Probation (Within 1, 2 and 3 Years) (3/2018)
Re-arrest follow-up information for probationers following sentence to probation.
- Crime, Arrest and Firearm Activity Report (Greenbook) (7/2019)
Preliminary year-to-date crime and arrest statistics for jurisdictions participating in the GIVE initiative. This report is issued on a quarterly basis.
- Monthly Jail Population Report (9/2019)
Census data for local jails for the past 12 months.
- Monthly DNA Collection Rates by County Report (9/4/2019) DNA eligible sentences by county and month and the percentage on sentences for which a DNA sample is on file 90 days after sentencing. This report is used by location jurisdictions to monitor DNA collection efforts.
Questions about the above and other statistical data may be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All media inquiries should be addressed to email@example.com or requested by phone at (518) 457-8828.