Criminal Justice Statistics
Statutorily required annual reports and other reports are available on the Publications page. If you are interested in information about the State prison and community supervision populations, research reports are available here http://www.doccs.ny.gov/Research/Research.html.
The date in parenthesis indicates the date of the report, or the last time the feature was updated.
Crime and Victimization
- Index Crimes
Violent (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) and Property (burglary, larceny, & motor vehicle theft) offenses reported to law enforcement. (See also Crime in NYS Report on Publications Page)
- Index Crimes By Region (5/2016) (Excel)
Ten years of Index crime data shown in New York State, New York City, and Non-New York City groupings.
- Index Crimes By County and Agency (5/2016)
Five years of Index crime data shown for each county in New York State.
Historical Index crime data back to 1990 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Crime Rates and Counts by County (5/2016)
Crime rates and how they are calculated are explained, and tables of Index and violent crime counts and rates by county. Rates take into account differences in population, allowing comparisons between counties.
Historical Index, Property, and Firearm crime rate data back to 1990 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Hate Crime Incidents (11/2015) (Excel)
Hate crime incidents by reporting agency covering the five-year period from 2010 through 2014. (See Also: Hate Crimes Annual Report on Publications Page)
- Domestic Violence Victim Data Reported Through UCR (3/2016)
Domestic Violence Victim Data submitted by county and reporting jurisdiction. (See Also:Domestic Homicide Report on Publications Page)
- Adult Arrests by County and Region (1/2016)
Arrest counts for major offense groupings over the last ten years. Includes statewide, region and individual county summaries.
Historical arrest data back to 1990 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Juvenile Arrests/Criminal Activity Reported Through UCR (5/2016)
Criminal activity of juveniles (less than 16 years of age) for major UCR offenses by county and jurisdiction.
- Parolee and Probationer Arrests: Percent of Total Arrests By County (3/2016)
10-year trend data on total arrests by county and the percent that parolees and probationers comprise.
- Dispositions of Adult Arrests by County and Region (5/2016)
Dispositions of adult arrests for felony, violent felony, drug felony, and misdemeanor offenses over the last five years. Includes statewide, region or individual county summaries. (See Also Felony Processing Report on Publications Page)
Raise the Age Proposal Data
As part of his 2016 Build to Lead Agenda, Governor Cuomo is re-introducing legislation to raise the age of criminal responsibility from 16 to 18. The following statistics detail arrest trends for 16- and 17-year-olds for the past decade as well as five years of data showing how arrests are disposed in the adult court system.
- Arrests involving 16-17 Year Olds by County and Region (1/2016)
Arrest counts for misdemeanor, non-violent felony, and violent felony offenses over the last five years. Includes statewide, region and individual county summaries.
- Dispositions of Arrests involving 16 and 17 Year Olds by County and Region (1/2016)
Dispositions of arrests involving 16 and 17 year olds for felony and misdemeanor offenses over the last five years. Includes statewide, region and individual county summaries.
- Final Report of the Governor’s Commission on Youth, Public Safety and Justice (1/2015) This report contains recommendations for juvenile justice reform in New York State.
New York State juvenile justice data are compiled by a variety of state and local agencies, including the Office of Children and Family Services, the Office of Court Administration, the Office of the New York City Criminal Justice Coordinator, the New York City Administration for Children’s Services and the New York City Police Department. DCJS partners with these agencies and others and compiles and analyzes juvenile justice data to produce a statewide picture of juvenile justice trends. Additional detail on the data presented in the files below is available in the Data Definitions and Technical Notes document.
- County/Regional Juvenile Justice Profiles (7/2016)
Juvenile justice arrest and case processing activities by county for each of New York’s 62 counties, including New York City, Non-New York City and Statewide summaries.
- Five Year Trend Tables by Processing Point and County (7/2016)
Key juvenile indicators presented by county for the last five years.
- Juvenile Arrests/Criminal Activity Reported Through UCR (5/2016)
Criminal activity of juveniles (less than 16 years of age) for major UCR offenses by police agency.
- Juvenile Justice Indicators Trend Tables 2010-2015 (7/2016)
Key juvenile indicators for New York City, Non-New York City, and New York State.
- Juvenile Justice System Trends Presentation (7/2016)
Annual juvenile justice system trends presented to the NYS Juvenile Justice Advisory Group.
- Law Enforcement Personnel (3/2016) (Excel)
Law enforcement employees on each agency's payroll as of October 31. It excludes employees assigned to jail duties.
Historical law enforcement employee data back to 2007 can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Jail Population Outside New York City (Annual) (1/2016)
Census data for local jails outside of New York City for the past 10 years. Annual counts show the average of all daily counts reported for that year.
Historical jail population data for counties outside New York City can be found on New York’s Open Data Portal
- Probationer Felony Re-Arrest Rates Following Sentence to Probation (Within 1, 2 and 3 Years) (3/2016)
Re-arrest follow-up information for probationers following sentence to probation.
- Monthly Crime, Arrest and Firearm Activity Report (Greenbook) (8/2016)
Preliminary year-to-date crime and arrest statistics for jurisdictions participating in the GIVE initiative.
- Monthly Jail Population Outside New York City Report (8/1/2016)
Census data for local jails outside of New York City for the past 12 months.
- Monthly DNA Collection Rates by County Report (8/9/2016) DNA eligible sentences by county and month and the percentage on sentences for which a DNA sample is on file 90 days after sentencing. This report is used by location jurisdictions to monitor DNA collection efforts.
- County Reentry Task Force Program Activity Report: July 2013 - June 2014 (10/17/2014)
Program activity of the 19 County Reentry Task Forces funded by DCJS.
Questions about the above and other statistical data may be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All media inquiries should be addressed to email@example.com or requested by phone at (518) 457-8828.