IBR Reference Materials
Last Updated: April 2016
Please review the current summary of changes
Listed below are several NYSIBR reference materials intended for both law enforcement agencies interested in and participating in the IBR program as well as vendors who design and support Records Management System (RMS) software. These documents expand upon and replace the NYSIBR Desktop Reference Manual and include information on becoming an IBR Agency, utilizing the NYS Integrated Justice Portal (IJPortal) for IBR file submission, reviewing the IBR transaction report and correcting IBR data errors. They also include technical documentation for vendors on generating an IBR compliant file.
If you have questions regarding IBR, please contact Crime Reporting Unit staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling DCJS at 518-457-5837 or 1-800-262-3257.
- Becoming a New York State Incident-Based Reporting Agency – This document provides law enforcement agencies in New York State with instructions on switching from the Uniform Crime Reporting Program to the Incident-Based Crime Reporting Program.
- Incident–Based Reporting File Submission Instructions – This document provides law enforcement agencies participating in the IBR program on how to submit their monthly IBR files to DCJS through the New York State Integrated Justice Portal (IJPortal).
- Reading the NYSIBR Submission Transaction Report – This document provides information for law enforcement agencies participating in the IBR program on how to read the Submission Transaction Report which is transmitted to agencies after each successful monthly IBR file submission.
- NYSIBR Error Messages and Explanations – This document provides a detailed listing of all errors that could occur within a monthly IBR file upon submission to the DCJS IBR Database. This listing includes each error number, the corresponding error message and a detailed explanation of the error. This document is intended primarily as a reference for law enforcement agencies that receive errors on their NYSIBR Submission Transaction Report and need further assistance in correcting them.
- Crime Reporting Data Submission Timeline – This calendar provides an overview of the data quality activities DCJS conducts organized by when they occur. Each month is an outline of what agencies can expect to receive from DCJS if follow-up is needed, and tools that agencies can access to help correct any issues that are identified.
- NYSIBR Data Capture Elements and Specifications – This document provides a detailed record layout for each of the sixty-eight NYSIBR data elements collected for a criminal incident as well as the nine transmission data elements that are used to describe and structure the data transmission between law enforcement agencies and DCJS. It is intended for both law enforcement agencies participating in the IBR program as well as vendors who design and support Records Management System (RMS) software.
- NYSIBR Data Transmission Specifications – This document provides technical instructions for generating and transmitting monthly IBR files to DCJS and is intended primarily for vendors who design and support Records Management System (RMS) software used to store and report incident data submitted through IBR. It is also helpful for law enforcement agencies in understanding the contents and structure of an IBR submission file.
- New York State IBR Edits – This document provides a complete listing of the system edits implemented by DCJS that monthly IBR submission files must pass before they are posted to the DCJS IBR Database. Each edit number, corresponding error message, as well as a technical explanation is provided. This document is intended primarily for vendors who design and support the Records Management System (RMS) software used to store and report data on criminal incidents.
- IBR Data Element/SJS Field Name Reference Table – This reference table is designed to assist SJS agencies in troubleshooting IBR errors that are generated within SJS or returned to the agency from the State’s IBR Transaction Report. The table provides the corresponding SJS data entry field and its location within SJS for each IBR data element listed. This table should be used to identify and locate those IBR variables that are listed in capital letters within an IBR error message.
- NYSIBR Improvement Project – Notice of Change – This document outlines the New York State Crime Reporting Program’s efforts to align the collection of NYSIBR data variables with those data variables collected by the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS).
Current Summary of Changes
10/2015 – IBR Date Element/SJS Field Name Reference Table added to IBR Reference Page
03/2016 – Added Crime Reporting Data Submission Timeline
03/2016 – Added NYSIBR Improvement Project – Notice of Change document
04/2016 – Updated NYSIBR Date Capture Elements and Specifications: Data Element #47 Victim/Offender Relationship